Between 1840 and 1850, great leaders and missionaries emerged in the Christian Church. Among them were men like John T. Johnson, James Ware Parrish, and L. L. Pinkerton in Midway.
Although they met before it was formalized, the Christians at Midway were incorporated by the Kentucky Legislature on March 2, 1844. On Christmas Day of that same year, minister Dr. L. L. Pinkerton preached the dedicatory sermon for the congregation’s new, one-story rectangular building.
The congregation eventually outgrew the small church. It was razed and the present structure was erected and dedicated in 1896 on the original site.
The chalice symbolizes the central place of communion in worship for the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
The X-shaped cross of the disciple Andrew is a reminder of the ministry of each person and the importance of evangelism.
Some MCC tidbits:
Midway Christian Church received it's historical marker, number 2280, from the Kentucky Historical Society and was dedicated on December 7, 2008. The text on this marker reads:
"Early members of this church met on Main St. soon after the town was founded in 1833. Dr. L .L. Pinkerton dedicated first building on this site, Christmas Day, 1844. Pinkerton & members of the church founded the Kentucky Female Orphan School (chartered in 1847) which later became present-day Midway College."
(Reverse) "Out of this church, Midway Second Christian Church was organized prior to the Civil War. Notable visitors were preacher Alexander Campbell and Carry Nation. In 1859 Pinkerton used a melodeon in worship, leading to a split of the Church of Christ and Disciples of Christ. The Victorian Romanesque building was dedicated in 1896."
On October 1, 2015, Midway Christian Church was honored by Midway University with its inaugural "Community Spirit Award" during its second annual "Day for Midway" event.
Reverend Heather McColl, surrounded by several members of the congregation, accepted the award which recognized Midway Christian Church's many contributions to the community, including the free monthly dinners, the clothing closet, housing the weekly AA/Al-Anon meetings, administering the Midway Ministerial Association emergency assistance fund, a tutoring program at Northside Elementary, contributing to the Woodford County food pantry, and more. The plaque is proudly displayed in the MCC fellowship hall.
In 2010, Midway Christian Church became a Green Chalice congregation by entering into the Alverna Covenant. This distinction is available to congregations wishing to live out their faith by caring for creation and is recognized as being good stewards of God’s creation.
In 2015, the Certified Green Chalice congregation level was attained by, in part, adopting the Green Chalice Covenant.
In April 2016, Midway Christian was named runner-up in the Sacred Grounds category in the Cool Congregations Challenge by Interfaith Power and Light, a nonprofit organization working to inspire and support a religious response to global warming.
This annual national challenge recognizes congregations that are becoming energy efficient and sustainable role models within their communities.
Download more about our history (pdfs)